PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-Precision Approaches. What does your airline recommend?
Old 30th Nov 2001, 01:00
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with all of you - except 411A.

What do you fly, 411A, and who for? I for one would hate to be on it with your "dive and drive" approach. The bigger the aeroplane the less safe that style becomes - large adjustments to ROD near the ground are asking for trouble.

Hand Solo's SOP sounds just like the one I spend most of my time teaching pilots for a very big airline and I can tell you that the secret to a safe NPA is a stabilised descent rate and small adjustments - especially if dealing with aeroplanes at the lower-tech end of the market. It's all about situational awareness and mutual monitoring on NPA's and stepped approaches push up the workload, reducing SA and the ability of the Non-Handling Pilot to monitor what is going on.

Yes, a pilot should be able to handle a stepped approach, by why make life difficult.
They always say that the superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid getting into positions that require the use of his superior skill.

In addition, the airlines that I train for apply a factor to the MDA to turn it into a DA so that the same decision making and handling methods are used for precision and non-precision approaches. This formalises the procedure that you would have to go through anyway and does not reduce the likelihood of getting in.