PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of excessive and unreasonable CASA actions
Old 24th Aug 2003, 06:23
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A BIT SELECTIVE CREAMIE

Creamie

I have missed your input, it stimulates a good debate.

You are quite correct that reading the actual doco allows a correct analysis of the matter. I guess my thought on the "win" by Dennis was badly phrased - I look upon how the initial CASA list of charges was first reported versus what actually occurred as a win but I agree for Dennis it was still convictions. Was it 34 separate offences of totally different natures or one similar offence 34 times?

However, in terms of flying with an expired medical I still believe my greatest danger is getting to and from the airfield past the motorists who don't have medicals as they come from the opposite direction 3 feet apart at a closing speed of 200 kmh. But, it behoves we pilots to make sure we note them in our diary and ensure compliance. I know coz mine is coming up and while it gives no benefit to my flying it does ensure I get a regular checkup.

In the analysis of "criminal convictions" the ultimate has been presented to Australia this week. Someone commits a brutal murder and gets a payout and someone naive gets jail for a political error. What you need to keep in mind is that many of us for some reason view CASA action - in many cases - in similar vein. And, have a look at the opinion polls about the current jail term if you need a benchmark. By the way, did that guy really get off on appeal for the seaplane launch, turn etc in WA or is that another misreport - I personally find that far worse than an expired medical?

You forgot the LAME case I mentioned - now I remember the terminology of the CASA response to the Ombudsman it reminds me of someone elses style. We would view CASA in a far more favourable light if they did learn to say sorry when wrong. And, just to add to that theme, I well remember a certain (not mine) aircraft at Tooradin and the vendetta against its owner. The classic was when the inspector arbitrarily claimed the disc rotors were undersized and wanted to fault it - only to find out the owner was a mechanic, brought along the calipers, measured the rotors and ..........

If there is allegations of cronyism, favouritism, no reverse gears when wrong, and prosecution of people for expired medicals, CASA has a public perception problem. The Kings made a very interesting comment that the ultralight fraternity is so far ahead in Oz compared to the USA - I feel we know part of the reason.

As our Sunday morning funny, can I suggest the following (modified from auditors but anyway) quote :
"And lo, when the battle was over, along came the Regulator to bayonet the wounded from both teams".

As an aside, can you cast your legal eye over the thread "AOPA" - I am starting to feel a little like Ralph Nader when he first questioned the car companies.
Cheers
Brian H