PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horse-play in the Mess
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2017, 15:04
Mogwi

Received 379 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Anyone remember the speed race at Bawdsey Manor where you ran from the bar, up the main stairs, across to the west wing on the 1st (2nd?) floor; out the window and down the fire escape device and then round the front of the mess and back into the bar through the front door?

I seem to recall the fire escape device attached to the wall consisting of a reel of rope with a propeller type spinner on top to slow the escapee's descent as it played out. My memory is dim but I believe one was supposed to pull it through the window and attack a belt strap before clambering out, but after a few pints a more superman like defenestration took place grabbing the rope and belt in passing.

Of course it was over 40 years ago and my FC course there (the last before it closed as a radar site) did pass in an alcoholic daze as we tried to drink the bar fund dry before it shut.

Now that reminds me; Hermes post-dinner run - out of the 2VS wardroom 2 scuttle, monkey-swing down the over-hang on metal hand-holds to the flight-deck drainpipe, thence down onto the 3VS quarterdeck (much to delight of quarterdeck mob sentry) and back up to wardroom 2. All done out of sight of land, in the inky, at 18kts. Can't think why we never lost anyone.