PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horse-play in the Mess
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2017, 14:15
Danny42C

It were different when I were a lad.

It's Not Working (#40),
...whether I am retired or unemployed...
Easy - if you're wondering how you ever found time to go to work - you're retired !
...capola (capoli?)...
"Capolae", I rather think. After my time - sounds thoroughly unhygenic and claustrophobic to me ...... bunker only fettled once a month ? ...... hope they issued you with a good air- freshener ! What was it all for ? - to protect you against wayward aircraft, or to survive the atomic exchange ? (as Laarbruch would be a radioactive charnel house by then, not much point really).

Did you have a sort of flare tube to pop the 'red's out ? How long was your "shift" down there ? Sanitary Arrangements ? Tell us more - I never heard of these things in my life.

Don't think a CA/DF set (they were operated by the Skilled Man/or Maid in the Tower Approach Room [in later pattern Towers], they had a "slave" set upstairs so that one operator could do both Local and Approach when things were quiet).

In general: Those poor old joannas ! On TV saw one hefted a good hundred yards or more by a reconstructed Trebuchet. Struck the "Lost Chord" when it speared in ! ("Caution - Low Flying Pianos ?")

Poor man's version: (Hawarden 1942) "Duty Pilot" (Prune taken off flying for the day) on grass by side of threshold, kitchen chair, Verey pistol and big bag of reds. Fire at will if sees two Spits intending to land on the same spot at same time. R/T "Local Control" ? - don't be silly ! (mixed bag of Spits, newly assembled Wimpeys and God knows what from ATA plus visitors - often 20 + in circuit. Control not possible). Looks like rain ? - bring your groundsheet.

But they were good days .............

Danny.