PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing today of Air Canada's B787 in CYUL...
Old 26th Mar 2017, 13:44
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arketip
Or was it "flames out of the engine?
That sure could have been what he meant to say. Check out the tower audio at the link above starting at about 23:00 into the clip. He says a phrase that sounds to me like 'three flameouts' several times. I also like the emphatically negative reply to 'AC 17 are you OK?' It's a busy time of life that in recent decades I've only experienced in the sim (so far ).

Air Canada in the past was known for not dumping on their 767's and had the fuel jettison system disabled or not installed on their entire '76 fleet. They also disabled the fuel jettison on some DC-9 10's and 30's as I recall.

Originally Posted by BanditGirl
For those of you who say yes but it's ETOPS I have got 180 mins before I need to land, I would say yeah but the other bugger did not last three hours did it !!!
Yep, that 180 minutes is strictly for dispatch in my view. If you lose an engine in an ETOPS twin you are still required to proceed to the nearest suitable airport in point of time for landing under FAA rules. And often that airport is not one of your designated ETOPS alternates. I've sure had a check airman on an overwater line check try to tell me otherwise, that we had to go to an ETOPS alternate 'since that is what our POI (now OI) wants us to do'. Mitigating circumstance, the LCA was a Marine .

Originally Posted by 601
How about we get a hotline to a "flight crew lawyer" on the flight deck so we can have a conversation about which procedure we should apply in a given situation which allow the flight crew to enjoy the said experience.

This questioning of what a flight crew did or did not do or should have or shouldn't have or weather they should have had soy milk instead of low fat with their weaties at breakfast is getting ridiculous.
You broke the code. These days you are expected to get on the sat phone and convene a meeting with your company's Subject Matter Experts to discuss any technical issues that arise while airborne. You really have to be careful since anything they say is advisory and if it's wrong the feds come after your ticket, not theirs. At least that's my paranoid view in this new CYA world of captain's authority modified by a committee meeting.