PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing today of Air Canada's B787 in CYUL...
Old 26th Mar 2017, 11:58
BanditGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jnps
Thanks very much fot the ref, I must say I had read that AERO before but a long time ago,
I guess the statment below will only fuel th debate from both sides.

Obviously, landing at weights above the maximum design landing weight reduces the normal performance margins. An overweight landing with an engine inoperative or a system failure may be less desirable than landing below maximum landing weight. Yet, delaying the landing with a malfunctioning system or engine failure in order to reduce weight or jettison fuel may expose the airplane to additional system deterioration that can make the situation worse. The pilot in command is in the best position to assess all relevant factors and determine the best course of action.

Thus it's the skippers decision, I would suggest that zero redundancy in the power department is exposing the aircraft to a further threat that needs to be mitigated TEM !!!

I just can't forget the pictures of the remaining engine fan blades mentioned in my earlier post