PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Regulation Does Not Work, and in Aviation it Kills!
Old 26th Mar 2017, 09:24
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Self Regulation Does Not Work, and in Aviation it Kills!

Self Regulation Does Not Work, and in Aviation it Kills! (c) Chugalug2

This is an intent that Chug/Tuc always press with and so I thought I would do some Sunday morning research:

UK MILITARY SAFETY
The Ministry of Defence (a Govt Dept) uses the following to safely regulate its activities:
Defence Accident Investigation Branch (Defence AIB)
Defence Fire Safety Regulator (DFSR)
Defence Land Safety Regulator (DLSR)
Defence Maritime Regulator (DMR)
Defence Nuclear Safety Regulator (DNSR)
Defence Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (OME) Safety Regulator (DOSR)
Military Aviation Authority (MAA)
Headquarters Policy (HQ-Pol)

UK CIVILIAN TRANSPORT SAFETY
The Department for Transport uses the following to safely regulate its activities:
Office of Rail and Road
Driver Vehicle and Licencing Agency (DVLA)
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
British Transport Police Authority
National Lighthouse Board
Transport Commissioners
Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
Highways England
Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB)
Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB)
Maritime Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB)

HIGH LEVEL REGULATORY OVERSIGHT OF BOTH DEPARTMENTS
Both of these are overseen by the Government Legal Department (GLD) to ensure that UK Law is upheld. The GLD are a part of the Treasury and is headed by a Senior Civil Servant. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have UK Legal jurisdiction over all Govt Depts and have enacted their right of Crown Censure in recent times on the MOD - Brecon Beacons deaths and the crushing of driver at MOD Kineton. Moreover they were given primacy on the Red Arrows ejection seat accident. Then, when there is a death or serious injury, there is the Coroner to answer to. So the only 'Self Regulation' I can see is that the Government effectively regulates its own activity. But then who would check the Government? Well the electorate every 5 years or so.

So, this leads me to think that there is no sense in the 'self regulation' comment and that this is misleading? If it is meant that regulation should not be within that particular Govt Dept then we would need to deconstruct all Govt Depts as they all regulate within but with a level of cross-Dept oversight. Is that a fair assessment given the facts above, or am I missing something?

LJ