PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing today of Air Canada's B787 in CYUL...
Old 26th Mar 2017, 06:51
BanditGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJ A4
Our company had an incident on a twin whereupon a engine surged shortly after take off, and was shut down that particular type had no Jettison system thus they just landed overweight. However when they looked into the other ( good !) engine they were horrified to see the fan damage ( birds) , all concerned were amazed the one remaining engine continued to run without indication of a fault, but for how long ???
Should a crew decide to hold to Jettison on a single engine with a line in the checklist that states land at nearest suitable airfield and that engine subsequently fails, I am pretty sure the manufactures lawyers in the subsequent aftermath singing they could have landed 40 mins before the remaining engine failed and our overweight landing checklist allows it.
Every Jet Transporter I have ever flown has been able to land overweight hence the existence of the Overweight Landing Checklist. As far as landing distance is concerned if you just took off on it and was able to stop at V1 3/4 down the runway for an RTO you sure can stop landing at the threashold.
For those of you who say yes but it's ETOPS I have got 180 mins before I need to land, I would say yeah but the other bugger did not last three hours did it !!!
My company policy and my strong view having seen those Fan pictures is land overweight minimise the time available for the other engine to fail, you would never end up in a legal scenario just landing overweight, however if you join the two engine hush club in a twin ??
For what it is worth I have landed a heavy twin just 5 Tonnes short of MTOW with an immediate return to land scenario. Overweight checklist completed of course.