PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 25th Mar 2017, 18:56
It's Not Working

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For 5 very happy years i was that guy in Ground Radio but only once in that time did I experience a coffee mincoms coming together. Hadley Box downstairs squawked, I answered and was requested to get into approach sharpish with a screwdriver. Minutes later I was ripping boxes out and offering the useless advice that frequencies would be lost but I'm clueless which ones and on which consoles. Poor lad responsible hadn't been there long (Laarbruch, 75ish) and I have a feeling it was the start of his first tour. Warm soapy water eventually returned everything to normal and no harm done but we were all sworn to secrecy so SATCO didn't find out to protect young lads thus far very short and noticeable career.

Fast forward to the fortnightly beer call which was downstair's turn to host and there's an extra slab from somewhere. SATCO gets up to wish the young lad a very happy birthday, goes on to praise his fledgling career thus far and finishes with a, 'Oh, and don't spill your coffee on a console again.' Can't remember if the lad went bright red or whiter than white but a great lesson delivered for all to learn from.

Regrettably I can't recall the 1975ish SATCO's name but he ensured that ATC and Ground Radio were one team. A GREAT bloke, father to many and despite being the most junior of junior techs I always felt and was made entirely at home anywhere in the tower. There followed another 35 years in uniform but only 1 more Ground Radio, El Adem with grass. I don't think any other tour touched Laarbruch for comradery.

Sorry, the above is a little off topic and I can't even remember if Laarbruch had a caravan. It did have a hole in the ground at each end called a cupola but I don't think that counts.