PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2017, 18:56
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shackman
IRCG

It goes back a lot further than that - I was doing top cover in a Shackleton for both Whirlwinds and Wessex to the West of Ireland before the Nimrod came into service. However, I didn't realise the warm fuzzy glow it gives you until I was the one in the Wessex a few years later. Later still, the assets deployed off Cork for the Air India Accident meant that while I was out there in a Chinook for 6 hours we had at various times 2 x Nimrods, 2 x USAF C-130s and others. Admittedly they were also assisting in the search, and sending us to look at anything significant (anyone remember the cabbage patch doll?), but if anything had happened to us - and the further you go from land the more every strange noise, turbulence, change in Ts or Ps gets the heart rate going - they're their for us as well. Bobbing in the oggin is much better in a large multi seat dinghy courtesy of a Lindholm container (unless it hits you on the head!).
What Shackman said, (X 22 yrs)

S&R
What is your recommendation concerning radar usage?
I would recommend a Seaking search radar and a competent RADOP...but, nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

Last edited by Al-bert; 25th Mar 2017 at 19:07.