PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breitling contacts?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2017, 16:08
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by idle stop
I also have a Colt...purely mechanical* and Golds****s have sent that off to Breitling for 3 battery changes during its 17 year life...never a query re service and it still keeps perfect time.

edit: * of course I meant analogue!
Thanks for the clarification.

As you know, the Colt has been produced with both mechanical and quartz movements over the years.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, one of my Aerospace's has a cracked LCD under the dial. The case and crystal are intact, I somehow bumped the watch against a doorknob or bannister I suppose.

I've done a movement change on a Traser H3 watch in a titanium case. It was really more trouble than it was worth but I took it on as a project to use some watch tools I bought in Singapore years ago. The movement was a Harley Ronda caliber and available online for less than $20. I almost missed the fact that I needed the HCP, High Cannon Pinion version of the movement so the hands with tritium vials would clear each other.

I looked at possibly replacing the movement in the Aerospace, it does seem to be exactly the same dimensions and functionality as one of the commonly available ETA calibers in the Flatline series. Also, Tissot and Swiss Army brands used a similar movement in very inexpensive watches. It was suggested that I could harvest a movement from one of those.

But, from comments I've seen on watch forums, the Aerospace hands are made so that they cannot be reinstalled. And Breitling will no longer sell parts to unauthorized repairers.

Here's a barehanded battery change video for the Aerospace, the LCD's indeed seem to be in a test mode until you push in the crown after the new battery is installed:

And here's Breitling's song and dance about why they take you to the cleaners and vacuum your wallet when all you want is a new battery: