PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 25th Mar 2017, 16:03
Danny42C

Never Volunteer !

MPN11 (#34),
...No idea who operated the system, but Coke machines were everywhere at Tengah: 20 cents but a nicely chilled bottle, IIRC...
At Carlstrom Field (my p.118 #2354 on "Pilot's Brevet").
...I must say that they did introduce an attempt of humour in one of their Met exams: one of the choices for "What is the Tropopause?" was "The Pause which Refreshes" (ad for Coca Cola!)

"Coke" cost 5c a bottle. [5 cents (US) in 1941. How would that compare (taking inflation into account ?] It ruled the market, its two principal competitors Pepsicola and the unwisely named Royal Crown Cola - (try saying "R.C.Cola" quickly) couldn't make a dent in its sales, in spite of selling double the quantity for the same price.

["Twice as much for a nickel, too -
PepsiCola is the Drink for You !"]

But the Coke machines would take only nickels, and soon they mopped up all the nickels on the camp. Plaintive cries of "Anyone got two nickels for a dime?" could be heard all over. The story was that "Coke" then contained cocaine, and was habit-forming, and there may have been some truth in it. Every day, the "Coke" salesman rolled up to collect the cash and refill the machines. He would be inundated with offers to change dollars (and even five-dollar bills) into nickels. He never had to carry away much small change...
ACW342 (#35),
...The following day a missive was promulgated which forbade all staff and visitors from placing drinks on the pedestal containing the Hadley Box, and a large sign screwed next thereto...
I believe NAAFI pianos were supposed to have "pitched roofs", to discourage use as parking places for pints of ale. Can't say I noticed them myself - but many others must remember ?

Very Old Joke: "Any of you play the piano ? .... (two or three eager sets of hands are raised) ......"Right, come over to the NAAFI with me, they want theirs shifted across to the Barrack Store ... (a quarter-mile away !)
(only works on recruits with less than 14 days service).

Danny.