PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:54
H Peacock

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hebog. In an endeavour to prevent a high-performance aircraft from trying to fly the second half of a loop without enough sky below it, you ensure that, before committing, you achieve your gate parameters. Make the gate - you've enough sky; don't make the gate - not enough sky. Really really simple, and black & white. Absolute basics to any display pilot.

A whole plethora of reasons why AH didn't make the gate - did they not find a mobile, perhaps he was texting! Of course he wasn't, but for whatever the reason on the way up he failed to make the gate, but that was not why he crashed. Approaching apex you have one job that shoots to the top of the queue. Ignore that job or worse, get it wrong, and the outcome is inevitable.

Mentioned before but perhaps akin to DH; land or GA. Lots of reasons why I may get distracted, but my job is to ensure that I don't and hence make the correct, timely, black/white call every time!