PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horse-play in the Mess
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2017, 09:37
plans123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian W May
Remember it well.

At Wyton in the late 80s. The young 'gentlemen' decided it would be good to celebrate the Dining In and burn the piano in front of the Mess and start the conflagration with a Canberra starter cartridge. With 720 grammes of cordite it worked well.

One small problem. They hadn't warned the Guard Commander whose men were armed with loaded rifles and thought there was a terrorist attack underway at the Officers' Mess. They turned out the Guard.

The young 'gentlemen' were fortunate not to end up with 7.62mm holes in their Mess Dress. That would have been a jolly jape eh?

I was deputy O I/C Airmans' Club at the time and was ordered to charge a Corporal for throwing a chair through a window in the NAAFI.

I have very mixed feelings about 'high spirits' . . .
I was on the Station Guard force at Wyton the night that happened, but I was manning the sangar up at the camp entrance when they responded...and that incident was not long after the night roof tiles were thrown down at the armed Roving Patrol from the roof of the mess by some 'lubricated gentlemen'