PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay colors?
Thread: Gay colors?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2017, 00:43
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
To be fair to Keg, that raises complicated messy questions. What happens if you are employed by a company and that company then wants to put forward a public position on a social question that you genuinely disagree with?

I certainly don't share Keg's position on the SSM issue but believe him to sincerely hold it. What does he do if his employer wishes him to help promote the issue he doesn't agree with?

There is no simple answer here. If we want our society to allow diversity of opinion, what happens when your opinion on a social issue differs from that of your employer?

Should you have to promote a view you don't hold? Should you be allowed to express your opposing view? Should you resign? Should you just hide your beliefs?

I sincerely don't hold Keg's views, they are so different from how I see the world but I also see a dilemma here. I think people should be able to express their views and not be made to compromise them providing it is done in a way that doesn't promote vilification or hate.

How that could be achieved here I don't know.

and FWIW I would be more than happy to fly a plane painted in the livery that has prompted this thread and have a very different view than Keg's but I think this raises awkward free speech issues.