PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breitling contacts?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2017, 22:23
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by idle stop
Anybody had this problem or know the solution, please?
Watch came back from Breitling via Gold-plated High Street shop, all digital displays lit, top and bottom, and what seems to be an error code on top digital display.
Local jeweller cannot clear...
Call me paranoid, but is this some kind of 'maintenance mode' known only to Breitling workshops?
Any advice gratefully received....or updates on useful firms that might fix.
Breitling has used several movements in the Aerospace in recent years but they are all operationally similar to the ETA 988.333 calibre described in the service manual available for download here:

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopMod...235&DocType=DT

Page 10 of this document describes the Sequential Test Mode:

Sequential test mode

Fit the battery with the crown pressed down. Then release the crown to enter test mode. Each time you press the crown, the test number rises by one. Each time you turn the crown, the function rises by one. As soon as the crown is pressed, "Test" and test number are displayed. When the crown is released, the test starts and the test mode or the expected test result is displayed (i.e. even or odd segments, LCD off...). Depressing the crown for more than 4 s will reinitialize the test (TESt 00).
The end of the test mode is described on page 12:

End of test TESt 90

Test 9.0:

All LCD segments are visible. To quit the test mode, turn the crown. The watch is running.
It's possible that Breitling 'accidentally' left the watch in test mode when you decided to have it returned without the very pricey 'maintenance'. I'm sure they would never do this intentionally to force you to have them repair it.

I would double check that the crown is not jammed in the pushed in position, sometimes one of the two O-rings gets worn and twists causing the pusher to jam. Then, I would have the jeweler remove the battery for a couple of minutes and reinstall it to see if the watch comes out of test mode.

Even though these ETA movements are used in many watches, it is possible that Breitling uses proprietary firmware so your jeweler can't work on the watch even with the proper manual.

A quartz watch needs very little maintenance compared to a mechanical watch so labels like Breitling and Omega have started hitting you up for an expensive periodic 'servicing' when all you really need is a battery change.

Anyway, take a look and see if the stuff on the screen of your Aerospace looks like the test mode in the service manual, hope it helps you figure out what to do next.