PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP after landing (Airbus OEM)
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2017, 04:23
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@applecrumble: the old procedure needed no adjustments for LVP. IIRC it has long been Airbus' philosophy that SOP-wise, LVP is no different to ILS. One I like very much because a) it tells me not to be lenient in normal ops and b) does not introduce additional, trained but rarely excercised, set of tasks to the job.

@Escape Path: what you explain is not the new sequence which I challenge. Spoilers now come first. I used to postpone the spoilers exactly like you say, after PM could show me where to go. If do the same with the new sequence, I end up at apron edge flashing like ET's mothership. Not much sleep lost over it but it does not taste like an improvement should.

@Check Airman: Not an operational one. More of "Quality of SOP themselves" discussion. I cannot and have not seen anyone consistently apply the new SOP without adjustments and/or personal interpretation, both devised on the spot to suit the scenario of the day. There was no need for any of this with the old book.

---

Maybe better suited in CRM and HF section, let the mods decide. If it ain't broke WHY did they fix it? I am curious to find out.

When I try to compare the two procedures, the newer loses 0:5. Or I am reading it wrong with insufficient understanding.

This is the old one in a different picture format:

Case study two - old style: You land and vacate MAN 05L on H, or LCA 22 to G, in the night.

- (step 1) PM kills the lights not to blind people on the ramp
> PM waits to speak with GMC who may be busy (MAN), or (in LCA) re-ask the taxi with TWR because instructions issued during landing were useless and even if he remembered you need a chart in hand to decode "CWLAL" from "CVLAL" and "CVLCL"; god forbid you try or even successfuly find where "A" is!

- PF, after learning/being shown where to go and when happy to continue
> (step 2) stows the spoilers thus triggers
> (step 3 ) the PM to go head down and clean up everything.

-- in comparison the new procedure -->

a) assigns an automated, single-man task (lights) to PF, who might be actively steering the aircraft at that point [0:1]. These I believe should be PMs to remove all possible workload from PF. The suggestion to delegate ad-hoc to PM makes it [0:1,5] as it is extra words/signal. And that signal comes in real life exactly when PM is on the radio getting transferred to GND [0:2]

b) A non-verbal command/communication to other pilot "I am ready, lets proceed" is removed: the spoilers no longer work in such way as they are now at the beginning of proc and you need to stow them it to get hands on STROBES and LD LT. [0:4] Essential HF topic here, we need to know where the other guy's mind is, without second guessing or being advised verbally.

c) It is now up to the PMs discipline and experience to prioritize comms with ATC and liaison with PF against his head-down flows. [0:5]. Proper SOPs should be smarter than that.

Last edited by FlightDetent; 24th Mar 2017 at 04:59.