PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fake management at JQHQ
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2017, 01:28
Y0SSARIAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IsDon
CNS-PER-CNS BOC?

I guess if these are already planned within 10 mins of the limit any delays in PER would mean a cancellation of the service, or a diversion en route should unforeseen circumstances mean busting these limits.

Knowing what PER is like from personal experience, I'd hazard a guess and say a delay of more than 10 mins would happen quite a lot. I guess these diversions/cancellations due to exceeding stick limits happen very often then. If not, why not?

Are guys knowingly breaking the rules? If so I'm sure the company appreciates your efforts, but good luck keeping your licence if CASA gets wind of it.

There is one simple bullet proof answer to all of this.

JUST SAY NO!

You have a legal requirement to refuse to fly if you feel fatigued. Use it!

The only reason you're rostered the way you are is that you continue to put up with it. Grow a pair.

IsDon, you are 50% correct. If 90% of pilots 'grew a pair' and called fatigued instead of operating shifts they know to be fatiguing then our problems here would be resolved very quickly indeed.

That is not going to happen. In my experience only 5-10% of a given population will have the guts to stand up and do something about a problem themselves. The main reasons that pilots often won't call fatigued for these flights are:

a) they fear being labeled a 'trouble maker' thus affecting their career
b) they are tight-arses and don't want to lose the overtime

This is why you are also 50% wrong. It is incumbent upon the regulator to ensure that pilots cannot be rostered to fly shifts that are known to be fatiguing. The regulator has tried to palm this responsibility off to the operator, however we can all see how deeply conflicted that arrangement is.

Both the regulator and the operator have an intimate understanding of fatigue issues in the industry. God forbid, if there is a fatigue-related accident in the Australian airline industry due to their inaction they will both have blood on their hands.