PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 23:27
taxydual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dishforth and the Chinaman

Sat (laid out, really) dozing at the 34 end of Dishforth runway. The usual soporific afternoon shift in the Caravan post a 'Molly the Feeder' lunch. Air Traffic nil. Ground Traffic one.

A knock at the Caravan door. Enter one very excitable Chinaman. Self, suddenly awoken from a deep sleep and suitable armed with 40mm pistol to repel the Yellow Peril (OK, I appreciate PC, no offence intended).

Having calmed the guy down and having realised he wasn't the 1st Regiment of the Peoples Republic Shock Troops (or whatever) intent of invading Boroughbridge, nor was he offering No 32 and Fried Rice at a discount to Caravanners, I slowly twigged what he was yapping about was a Volvo 245 size hole in the airfield hedge that formed the boundary between the A1 southbound and RAF Dishforth.

To confirm my suspicions, there, 20 feet from the Caravan (and 300 feet of skid marks from the boundary hedge ) was a Maroon Volvo 245 Estate car which was occupied by half a dozen small Chinese people (ie children) who were rather upset to have there journey rudely interrupted by a 45 ton articulated vehicle nudging them through the boundary hedge of one of Her Majesties Premier Defence Sites.

Common sense prevailed.

Rather than alerting NATO to a possible invasion threat and bringing US Forces to DEFCON2 we decided to task Joe, the Airfield Electrician, to tow the rather battered Volvo and it's occupants off the Airfield and through the Dishforth main gates and freedom in the West. After that was accomplished, we could all go back to sleep.

Last edited by taxydual; 24th Mar 2017 at 00:08. Reason: Repetition