PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay colors?
Thread: Gay colors?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:53
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wonderworld
None of the religiously inclined here have said how SSM will affect them.
I wish they would so I can try to understand their point of view.
It's been said a number of times already. I'll just keep repeating the first principles.

It affects fsmilies. It affects society. That means it affects me. It's important to point out that there are many who are not 'religiously inclined' who agree with that principle.

People have disputed the principle I'm offering here but consider drug use in the privacy of someone's own home. Using the pro SSM line of argument that doesn't affect me so why shouldnt it be legal too? We have laws on drug use and other issues because we know that some things are important in society.

I keep hearing how 'the majority of Aussies are in favour of same sex marriage'. I'm not convinced. Yes Minister is the definitive meme when it comes to survey results and recent results such as Brexit and Trump's win shows that they're not real reliable I don't reckon the Aussie public has actually engaged fully with the issue or at least had both sides of the issue explained to them.

So a plebiscite is a good way forward I reckon. Funding for 'yes' and 'no' cases- and no doubt the 'yes' side will get considerable funding from other entities also including unions- and that way I can ensure it's not just politicians deciding this issue amongst themselves. Most Christians I know would accept the result of a plebiscite even if we disagreed with it. I'd at least be confident that we had the best chance of the nation engaging with the issue

I also suspect that the reason Labor put the kybosh on the plebiscite is that they have internal polling that suggested it was going to be a close run thing. Their proferred excuse of 'hate speech' against gays is a furphy and so far the threats and hate speech have been against Christians and/ or premises/ groups/ companies that were facilitating them meeting rather than the other way around.

The stupid thing was that had they agreed to the plebiscite, by now the result would have been known and the issue decided. Perhaps gay people would be getting married very soon. Perhaps the true will of the nation would be known.