PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay colors?
Thread: Gay colors?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 09:04
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
What issues do employees in Qantas face if they are gay? Are they disadvantaged in some way? Are they over looked for promotion? Do they not get a fair go?

There is nil organisational prejudice in the Qantas workforce. In pilot ranks we have gay Captains, F/Os and S/Os. We have gay pilots in Training roles. We've had gay pilots facilitating CRM. We have gay pilots in management and office roles. They are probably over represented in those roles given their numbers in the wider pilot community. Female pilots are probably over represented in management positions also given their ratio in the wider pilot community.

If you want to look at other roles within Qantas you could argue that females and gays are over represented as a ratio of the wider community as well- HR, F/As are two off the top of my head.

So what prejudice is there to overcome for Qantas?
Well, you could start with the prejudice displayed by yourself and others on this thread. The thread was started because of apparent 'outrage' about painting an aircraft to support the Sydney Mardi Gras. The fact that there was this 'outrage' speaks that there is still work to be done here at Qantas. The other issue that has emerged is criticism of the appropriateness of Qantas/Joyce supporting same sex marriage. My response has been to challenge the assertions made by some posting here that this is not appropriate for the CEO of a company. I have argued that Joyce is acting within his responsibilities as CEO. I have also argued that the Constitution has been intrerpreted by the High Court to provide the right to political expression, regardless of whether you are a politician or business person.

So, while I respect your right to be able to express an opinion about these issues, I don't agree with many of the arguments presented about what Joyce should or should not be allowed to do.

Last edited by theheadmaster; 23rd Mar 2017 at 09:45.