PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay colors?
Thread: Gay colors?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 04:01
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuck Mach
Bread and Circuses...

It is rare that I would ever agree with Peter Dutton, a dullard in the truest sense of the word, however whilst the little fella may have a particular desire to lead a debate, he can lever his personal wealth and lead it.

To use the corporation and thinly veil his personal views as representative of the company and the 27,000 employees is not appropriate. For those working at Qantas, their opinion matters little, they do not have a voice, yet he purports to speak in their name.

"It is unacceptable that people would use companies and the money of publicly listed companies to throw their weight around."

(From ABC today) Mr Joyce also wrote that it was an economic issue, saying, "more open societies attract better talent".

Given Mr. Joyce failed to provide any factual data to support the assertion, perhaps he can use his personal wealth to ascertain what exactly tangible economic benefit can be captured before committing shareholder funds and time in the company name for a project he personally sees merit in.
I don't quite follow why you and others assert that it is inappropriate for Joyce to use the company to pursue a policy of supporting social diversity. As CEO, it is precisely his job to implement strategy approved by the board of directors. The CEO is responsible to the board and the shareholders, not the employees. Joyce has stated openly that Qantas supports Mardi Gras, marriage equality, Male Champions of Chance and the Indigenous Reconciliation Action Plan. Joyce believes that by encouraging more people to participate, you increase the available talent pool, which is good for business.

As an openly gay CEO, I find it completely unsurprising for him to bring the experiences of the difficulties encountered by him to his view of how to run the business. Note that the policy does not limit itself to supporting gay people, it also supports women and indigenous people.

I don't see why it is inappropriate for businesses to pursue social policies if those are the values that the board and CEO develop and are supported by the shareholders. If, as employees, you are so opposed to the values and policies of the organisation, you can petition the shareholders and board for change and/or you should choose another employer who's values you can live with.