PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 21:40
sika hulmuta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biscuit74,

A relevant question. Like AH I also have a military background and am presently employed in the airline business.

I also have wondered about this "escape manoeuvre" which he so say didn't practice.

I will give an example which many reading this may associate with. In the civilian world, every year (at least) we go into the simulator to practice an engine failure at V1 on takeoff, which is deemed a "worst case" by the regulatory authority. We get quite good at that over the years. However, as a simulator instructor conducting training as well as checking, I have also seen less predictable results if the engine failure occurs at a slightly different point. Say, 500ft IMC on departure. Every civilian pilot is proficient at V1 cuts, but I would also say at risk of significant error should the failure occur at a different point. Because it is rarely practiced.

The regulator can only dictate "worst case" proficiency. But is a failure at V1 actually "worst case" for checking? Should failures at different points be also mandatory? This is not a digression.

Similarly with the Shoreham accident. What is the escape manoeuvre he so say didn't practice? Is it at the top of the loop having not made the gates? (The V1 cut equivalent) Is it when pointing vertically downwards and realising all is not as anticipated? Is it at some other point? All equally relevant I suggest.

Putting my old military hat on as a low level pilot, there was always one thing and one thing only that was in the forefront of the mind. Dying of deceleration sickness. In those days, it was a not unusual occurrence. The ground is totally unforgiving, and no error is permitted when manoeuvring near the ground.

Not only could he have escaped from it easily at the top of the loop in several possible ways, without practicing some mythical "escape manoeuvre" to satisfy regulation, but he would have had that terrain awareness respect inbuilt which every low level fast jet pilot learns from the earliest of days. It becomes almost instinct to be extremely careful when pointing at the ground.

This is why I do not believe AH would have consciously flown the manoeuvre as it transpired. Something must have happened to explain WHY he continued.