PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robin Olds
Thread: Robin Olds
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 18:54
Fonsini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First exchange pilot to be assigned as an RAF Squadron boss as I recall. His experience of flying a Meteor in typical UK weather is a real eye opener. He also married one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, he pretty much did it all and had it all. His was a life lived and no mistake.

A couple of anecdotes from memory (please excuse any inaccuracies):

When warned that there would be courts-martial if any more fighter pilots deliberately smashed glasses during parties in the officer's mess he assembled the group and gave them all a thorough dressing down and threatened them accordingly, and then told them to smash every piece of furniture in the place.

Very nearly crashed on his first flight in an F-4 that departed when trying to replicate the type's adverse yaw phenomenon at low speed/high altitude.

Once threatened to fire Sidewinders at a tanker that refused his completely bingo'd F-4 any fuel when returning from a combat mission. He claims he was deadly serious, and he got the fuel.

Hated the AIM-4 Falcon with a passion.

Once took a squadron technician on an air experience ride in a P-38 and flew above cloud to Denmark unbeknownst to his passenger where he then promptly descended and strafed a German supply train. The tech was still shaking when they landed back in England.

Presided at an Air Force graduation ceremony after being appointed academy Commandant and noticed a "ripple" on either side of the approaching Voodoo (I think) just before it went supersonic over the assembled cadre and school buildings at low level. While stood to attention and realising what was about to happen he quietly muttered to himself "uh oh" - there was hell to pay as pretty much every window in the academy was blown out.

In old age and breathing from an oxygen cylinder his last wish was to take an early morning flight in an F-4 one last time at low level.

Apparently he was bemused by the RAF squadron tradition of playing Highcokalorum (spelling ?) - he described it as basically a brawl, if anyone would care to enlighten me.......

Last edited by Fonsini; 22nd Mar 2017 at 19:32.