PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 17:09
Mike Metcalf48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunter Escape Manoeuvre

IIRC from my Hunter flying back in the day, coarse aileron input at slow speed would cause departure from controlled flight. The resulting spin was quite unstable and thus dangerous outside of the test environment. We ensured pilots were aware of this trap and, if anybody would care to post it, is detailed as a warning in the pilots' notes. So I am not surprised this pilot was neither taught nor had practised recovery from slow speed inverted at the top of a loop (nb this wasn't a loop or even a 'bent loop' BTW). It would have been quite a leap of faith to do so when training in the Hunter. Once this pilot had found himself significantly below his gate (assuming he even was alert to the situation), he had little option. It is possible he could have avoided the ground if he'd flown optimum AOA - light buffet - but with the ground rushing up to him, the natural human reaction would be to pull harder.

I read the AAIB Hunter test report. The evaluated type was a single seat Hunter with an Avon 200. Whilst similar, it is quite a different beast to the 2-seat Avon 100 trainer. It doesn't matter how much you fudge it, it is not going to be representative and cannot be compared. The very capable TP should have known this and ensured a Hunter T7, in the same fit, weight and balance, was used to evaluate. So, I am afraid it is like apples and pears. The fact that the TP safely flew an 'escape manoeuvre' is down to his experience, ability - lots of Hunter time spent spinning, I am told - and pre-flight spin prevention planning on this distinctly different variant.