PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight SIM
Thread: Flight SIM
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 07:52
cavok_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use X-Plane since the flight dynamics seem to be the best, and it works on all OSs. Also, I have a Saitek yoke, a throttle/prop/mixture controller, as well as rudder pedals. My experience is that it this set-up helps practice the correct procedures, but may not "teach" you how to fly them. Let the instructor/school show you first, then practice.

I also hang an action cam from the rear window inside pointing forward with audio capture to review after the flight at home. You really need audio for it to work well. There are so many "what-was-I-thinking-then" moments on "film", but at the same time I have found this to really accelerate my learning process. Check with your school/instructor if it is alright to record the flight for private review afterwards. I had to promise not to put any of it online. And you have to be careful not to be overly critical about your performance and weigh in the comments that your instructor makes after the flight what he/she thinks. (A bit OT I know, but just sharing my experience since I am doing my IR right now.)