PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying on the 7th day
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 02:11
josh1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flying on the 7th day

Hi all,

I'm a commercial pilot, currently working for a company under an AOC, and I'm a little confused about the 7 day rule.

CAO 48.1 states
1.12 A pilot shall not commence a flight and an operator shall not roster the pilot for a flight unless during the 7 days period terminating co-incident with the termination of the flight he or she has been relieved from all duty associated with his or her employment for at least 1 continuous period embracing the hours between 10 pm and 6 am on 2 consecutive nights.

CAO 48.0 states
1.3 The holder of a pilot licence other than a private pilot licence who engages in aerial work, charter, or regular public transport operations, shall be subject to the flight and duty time limitations specified by CASA in section 48.1 of this Part. Calculations of flight and duty time limitations made under the provisions of section 48.1 shall take into account any flight and duty time performed in the course of private operations.

And a tour of duty is defined in 48.0 as
tour of duty means the period between the time a flight crew member
commences any duties associated with his or her employment prior to making a flight or series of flights until he or she is finally relieved of all such duties after the termination of such flight or series of flights and includes reserve time at the airport.

So my question is, if I've worked 6 days, and want to take my son flying on the 7th day, is that legal? The way I read it, the hours will count towards the maximums, however, no duty will be burned, as it has nothing to do with employment therefore is legal.

Any help would be excellent!