PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetranger crash Gladstone
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 22:38
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blade pitch, you could not be more wrong an several fronts. Let me kill off the wrong assumptions on your part, then lets look where facts and such we are in agreement.

By the way, thanks for the lecture on SAR ops..... But I had that pretty much under control already, but you would not have known that. Anyway let me fill you in on some facts that you are making assumptions about.

1. The pilot and his pax is no friend of mine. Could not tell you his name even.

2. My criticism of the pilot had NOTHING to do with the rescue pilot, it was aimed at the crash pilot. I have no idea how you made that wrong assumption.

3. The noise about no plan etc is not quite correct. THEY HAD A FLIGHT NOTE with a very well known aviation identity in CQ. They cancelled SAR with that person by phone before they went below coverage (at a guess 1000' say) and then the proceeded to land with a flame out at considerable (unknown to me) height from which they messed up the autorotation.

4. The person holding flight note details was thus unaware of a problem until the boats found materials and authorities contacted the wife. Wife then passed them to CQ flight note holder. He knew exactly where to look, but in terms of GPS mark not that precise but by eye very precise. He was refused further participation, even in his own chopper. Police sometimes get a bit over zealous. That cost them a lot of time as at first they flew right past he victims and missed them. The local pilot has probably been involved in many SAR ops over 30 years or so, and has close links to the crew out of Rocky, so he is not exactly out of his depth in that environment, but as usual big government departments have too much arse covering policy to take advantage of quality help. Seen it myself, its a real problem.

Your condescending commentary about when did the local pilot present himself to police I find a bit over the top, but I understand you are shooting from the him and not close enough to the reality. Not sure if it was QPS or AMSAR, but they contacted him for help.

My criticism is of the system that allowed a very experienced local who knew by eye exactly where the intended fishing spot was to be sidelined so easily, just because he did not have a GPS mark to three decimal places and their stupid restrictive policies prevent him from being useful.

Wasted enough time on this reply already, but can I suggest you go back and read my original post again with a fresh set of eyes