PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerocare exposed
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 22:09
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isdon.

I would really like to live in your world where good jobs depend on if you concentrated at school. Unfortunately in modern Australia that is not necessarily the case anymore.

The SMH has an article this morning about how as a society we are heading to part time work being the norm for most. That is certainly what I am seeing in my kids generation and the ones that I know are all uni graduates so I suspect that they did concentrate at school. We appear as a society to be heading towards the US model of multiple part time low paid jobs just as we find ourselves in the place where the most expensive housing in the World. How anybody could find accommodation in a major city on $50000 a year with a median house price of a $million is beyond me.

The point here is that with a low hourly rate and odd hours these guys are caught in a bind. Their total daily rate is about $13 an hour but unlike other part timers, they are not in a position to pick up other work during the "break". If they voluntarily leave to look for another job they get no income for what will probably be a long search and I doubt if they will have built up much cash on $50,000 a year living in a big city

In the past in what I think was a more caring world, there were 2 kinds of jobs. Lets call the categories "intellectual" and "physical" and the pay for most wasn't all that much different. The "physical" pay reflected the fact that the work was unpleasant and carried physical risk. I think that the latter category aptly describes a baggage handler where most that I knew over my long airline career had bad backs , knees etc.

I think as an industry we can do better and if we had, I suspect it would be a less cutthroat business than it is today.

Wunwing