PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lap top and tablet ban
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 13:56
Sam Asama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This action creates a significant safety issue. No, a huge safety issue. Fires originating from lithium batteries in aircraft cabins lead to cabin crew using effective methods (applied quickly) to extinguish them. The fact that these types of fires are A. so dangerous, and B. still occurring, is the reason ICAO and EASA moved to restrict / ban such electronics in cargo -- those types of fires in cargo holds CANNOT be efficiently attacked in flight.

With this insane order I can no longer fly to / from any of those airports on any of those carriers. Why? Because I need my laptop for the work I do in those places (the UAE for example, where I work regularly) and I WILL NOT fly on an aircraft that has a hold full of identified fire hazards waiting to spontaneously combust in a location where the fire cannot be suppressed. And daily there are many thousands of people in the same situation as me. Absolute insanity.

I am hopeful that immediate backlash from ICAO, EASA, IATA, etc. will lead to a retraction of this deranged order.