PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plastic funnel and plastic fuel can-is it safe?
Old 21st Mar 2017, 12:43
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have little choice than to Jerry can my aircraft and I've always used steel cans and a plastic funnel, an earthing wire to the exhaust and spiked into the ground.
Climb the stepladder, open can, lean on the aircraft, can in contact with me and the funnel before pouring.
I also will not use a can that hasn't been standing on the grass or concrete for at least twenty minutes since being dragged out of the car, to dissipate the static.
I built a pumping system from copper tube, plastic tube with a ball valve tap. This is sealed into the can with the cap and has two tyre valves in the cap. One for the foot pump the other with no valve in it but a valve cap to hold/release the pressure.
This works very well, saves lifting cans, but someone once mentioned that the small diameter pipe causes higher speed of delivery and can create static. So now I worry about that!
Being a deserted airfield most of the time I get a bit paranoid with this and usually consider my escape route dive if it all goes belly up. Ten years, so far so good.