PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2003, 13:35
Hamrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from a night Malta, hence the late (early) hour of posting.

Lots of comments above, some valid, some just sour grapes , so let me try to put all this in perspective.

There are two main , expanding, airlines out there looking for pilots...namely Ryanair and Easyjet. Other airlines (ourselves included) have a limited requirement, with modest expansion. We also have a highly seasonal requirement, with a summer work being almost twice as high as our winter work.

Now, both of the two main expanding airlines have stopped taking ATPL (frozen or otherwise) and type rating them. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that you will find it difficult to find an airline anywhere that is recruiting AND type rating. It's a sad fact of the industry, something that has been the case in the United States for a very long time.

As part of our business, we run a TRTO, where we offer type ratings to interested candidates. We kicked this off with the PPRuNe cadets, who are now enjoying a successful career. As people came for type rating courses, we occasionally had opportunity to offer some of them contract work. This occurred as and when we had vacancies.

Those who we could not offer work to, found that just having a type rating limited their opportunities for employment. Anyone newly converting to their first Jet type must undergo 100 hours or 40 sectors of line training. So airlines looking at these individuals saw a lot of line training expense.

So we thought we are uniquely able to offer ( and it is just an offer) the facility to complete all the initial training that an individual would have to take when joining a new airline. This means not just the line training, but also the CRM, SEP, Aviation medicine etc.

Let me tell you what it DOESN't mean. Astraeus will employ on a full time basis, it's full First Officer Requirements to cover our flying program for this winter, and on a paying contract basis to cover our Summer peak. So individuals undertaking the full conversion/training course will NOT be saving Astraeus money. We will, as an airline, have the cost of increasing our training establishment to cope with the additional line training requirements. Furthermore, where these individuals operate as a full crew member, they will be paid the duty pay that is due for that flight. I will use some First Officers to assist with the Ground school training (indeed, one of the PPRuNe Cadets is already involved in training)

There are lots of people offering similar packages out there. Just have a look here for example.

We just feel that we can offer the full training package, for anyone who is interested in going down this road at a competitive price in an airline environment. Simple as that.

Let me just address some of the other comments:-

Sir Donald - Better get your facts right before chucking some of this stuff around. the CTC cadet scheme was a very successful scheme, but has died away because of the airlines unwillingness to pay for the type ratings. Furthermore, you still had to put your hand in your pocket for their MCC/JOT course, with no guarantee at the end. I know in Oz there is zero chance of a job right now, so wish you well in your aspirations.

Tailscrape - The "tests" include a full blown simulator assessment. Want to check on the cost of Simulator and Instructors at the moment? The reason for this is to ensure that there is some raw ability to fly, rather than a raw ability to pay. We want to ensure that people are capable of getting through the course successfully. We feel it more honest to tell people up front that they would be wasting their money for a conversion course that they might not be able to pass successfully. If they are confident enough that they have the ability, then it forms a downpayment on their conversion course.

Sally Cinnamon The going rate for a 737 type rating ranges from 18K to 23K depending on where you go, and there are various places to go. ( None of which include line training/ airline experience, and some of which cannot even do the base training)

flygirl10 Again, Ryanair offer NO guarantees of a job at the end of their conversion , and you are paying them a chunk of money for NOTHING ( their "arrangement fee" )

kabz I'm afraid the right or wrong of paying for your own training is a redundant discussion, until such time as demand completely outstrips supply. When last I looked, there were in excess of 900 Frozen ATPL's out there looking for their first job. From where I sit in the industry as it stands now, I cannot see any UK airline offering jet cadet type schemes as they used to do previously, and I include BA in that statement. The costs ( and risks) are just too high. I would love to be proved wrong.

The discussion on type ratings now mirrors the discussion some years ago on the 509 vs Self improvers route.

If any of you want to e-mail me directly with your views or concerns feel free.

Now, off to bed.....night Kos ahead of me.

H

Last edited by Hamrah; 23rd Aug 2003 at 13:48.