PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charging phone in bath
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2017, 19:56
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
depending on where youare in the world you can or used to be able to find some alarming socket /plug combinations. US Caribbean seemed one of the worst with flimsy two pin plugs and for higher powered devices a horrid earthed version that seemed to be made entirely of metal with some bits cardboard as spacers/insulators. I image they do not make them any more but on older devices who knows. we had a horrendous installation in my house with an undersink water heater and dishwasher on same circuit-turn on washer hot water but not hot enough runs into dishwasher. -cools down water in heater. On comes heater in dishwasher AND undersink heater at s ame time and zap off goes the power. So if you dont remember to turn one off then the other and the first back on it wont work and then off to the astonishing fuse board with all sorts of naked connections and weird fuses made of glass or lumps of ceramic with exposed metal ends that pushed into big copper sprung forks

The standard Euro plug is probably the best followed by our own and then maybe S Africa who have a sort of hybrid European/Aussie device. I think in Northern Europe we have much the safest designs and installations of anywhere -so long as people understand enough to know that you do not touch anything without turning off at the consumer unit or in this case mix electricity and water ever. What did people under 35 learn at school??