PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2017, 19:54
The SAR RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakepit
The article above is very enlightening but I believe it relates to the specifications of the 92 brought in for the contract straight from Sikorsky? Of note is the fact that it had EuroNav in the front which is being taken as indication that all the Irish CG S92s are the same.

Question - were the 4 aircraft that were transferred from the CHC UK Interim SAR contract also updated to have EuroNav? When they served the contract in the UK they were not fitted with EuroNav in the front so there may be a difference in aircraft modification states across the fleet. The lack of mapping in the front of 4 of the 5 aircraft might mean slightly different procedures are required depending upon which aircraft the crews are in.

The article also shows the Sikorsky derived S92 was based at Sligo whereas the Dublin aircraft was from the UK contract and therefore may not have had EuroNav mapping in the cockpit? Speculation based on what the crews may have done using a mapping system that no one is sure was actually fitted will not help, but knowing for sure what the actual fit was may be of more help?
Snake pit

That's a useful insight. I'd originally intimated that the Irish SAR S92 fleet only had a moving map display in the cabin but withdrew the post when the above article was posted and I felt that I'd put inaccurate information on the forum. Having aircraft with differing modification states would be nothing new to Irish SAR.

If there was only a moving map in the cabin then the cockpit crew would be semi - reliant upon the rearcrew to inform them of their position relative to Blacksod and Blackrock.

So can anyone provide clarity? Was there a moving map in the cockpit?