PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 20th Mar 2017, 09:17
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abgd

I agree that there is always going to be some element of risk inherent in air displays. I certainly don't want to see a ban either. Part of the excitement, to me, is the perception that there is a slight element of danger, as a spectator. It is no different to some of the more extreme rides at amusement parks. The element of danger to the riders appears far greater than it actually is. But we do not expect parts of these rides to fall onto spectators away from the immediate ride area, or outside the boundary fence of the amusement park.

Technical failures happen, pilots make errors of judgement. It is up to the organisers of air displays to ensure that where an accident happens, the effects are contained within the airfield boundaries or over unpopulated areas such as the sea or open farm land. This will inevitably affect the ability of some airfields to be able to hold air displays at all due to urban developers tendency to build right up to airfield boundaries.

Commercial aviation is by no means free from similar failings as demonstrated at Kegworth and Heathrow, where busy motorways run directly across the main runway approaches.