PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - talk on the Trident airliner at Brooklands 23 march
Old 20th Mar 2017, 07:29
rog747

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Hi rog747,

BCAL Standard VC10 Type 1103. Wot! Not enough hints? (Apologies for the thread drift.) The Type 1103 had the "Super" chord extension and wing-tip L/E droop, enabling F/L430 when light enough. One of them is the one at Brooklands, donated by the Sultan of Oman.

The "Ten" burned about 5500-6000kg/hr in the cruise at medium weights.
I imagine the Tridents would have burned not much more than half that at a similar, or slightly higher Mach?
In those days (it was August 1971, so before the fuel crisis) we were cruising at a modest M0.835 (0.86 indicated). MMO was 0.86.

From what I heard the Trident was also faster in the climb and descent than the VC10. Our VMO was only 329 kt IAS at sea-level; slightly reducing higher up.

Quote:
" VC10's were used on BCAL charters to the Canaries, Nicosia and Rhodes but never knew one of them ever going into Corfu"

Never did Rhodes or Nicosia personally, and now see I only did CFU the once. LPA and TCI (Tenerife North, as it was coded in those days) were schedules, the former also used en-route GIG. I once did a charter from BOH to TCI with 150 pax at a time when the Hurn runway was only 6000 ft...
thanks for that!

i worked for horizon holidays around that time and they were a big BUA customer for their charters (then Cale//BUA) and recall the ops board showing VC10's we had going to the slightly further afield and to the posher destinations as you too also recall but Corfu was def a new one to me! cheers