PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Unsuitable for Carrier Operations - Chris Bolton
Old 19th Mar 2017, 23:28
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can only echo Engines' wise sentiments.

Bismark, a few corrections:

- with the exception of the RAF F35 test pilot, the FAA are the only UK Service to have current deck qualified FJ pilots. There may be the odd RAF AV8B pilot but I am not certain on this.
- The RAF will discover that operating the QE class is a lot different to the INV class.
- It will not just be RAF/FAA FJ groups operating from QE. The USMC will be regular visitors from the word go. This will require near permanent embarkation of a UK F35 air group when ever QE is at sea so that the deck is "warm" i.e. fully worked up.
- Sortie generation rate will be higher in QE which will require regular embarked practice (as the Russians have found out to their cost).
- "Stepping Ashore" - which I am sure will be the RAF preferred way of operating, is not a "day 1" activity and thus comes further down the training order. Embarked Ops will always be the most stressful activity and thus practised most. F35 is not a GR9 replacement.
The number of current deck qualified of any cloth makes not one blind difference today; rather, it's how may F-35B deck qualified people we have in the future, when we need them. Your point is confusing in this regard.

The "RAF" involved in simulated QE deck trials is about he same as "RN". Those currently involved, and those who have been, are quite aware of how different QE is to INV. Nobody has landed F-35B on QE, so again, your point is confusing.

USMC will review what to send, and if it wants to, on each occasion. The deck will be as warm as it has to be, in accordance with BRd766 and the Force Gen cycle. Don't presume anything. One thing our politicians will always want is freedom of choice. That's a fact.

Let's see how F-35B sortie gen rate turns out before you apply your wet finger metric to QE output and trg requirements.

Finally, don't assume the RAF want to step ashore. It betrays your thinly-veiled contempt. I'm RAF, and, frankly, I'd rather conduct sorties from QE where possible. Many of my colleagues share that view, proving your statement to be no more than a sweeping generalisation.

Good to see the two Chiefs at QE together. Leadership comes from the top and their Joint commitment to Carrier Strike looks very encouraging, and anyone who seeks to tar the new Force with the old brush will find themselves up against a raft of dark and light blue (inc yours truly) who are firmly committed to CS.