PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone done SDMP yet?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2017, 19:13
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curlytips,

Once you have selected the company you want to do your annual with ask them to show you the SDMP program they have in mind for your aircraft. Most engineers have already decided what they feel is appropriate for most types. You can add to it anything you consider relevant or important. Once the check is complete you will sign the declaration and it will be used to gain approval of your ARC. Publishing one on here would be irrelevant as most are based on a mixture of the old LAMP, manufacturers maintenance manual and the new Minimum Inspection Program provided by the CAA. All would be different.

One thing that seems to be causing confusion is that some people think that the CAA must first 'pre-approve' your maintenance plan prior to its use. I don't read the regulations that way and neither does my maintenance company. I have just gone through the SDMP process and the ARC has been issued by another overseeing company without a problem.

Another area of confusion is whether you still need a 'radio annual'. As I understand it if you want an avionics engineer to do one then there is nothing stopping you but if you want to incorporate a report of both ground and airborne function checks (specifying frequencies tested at what range, on what radial and at what distance etc) and incorporate that into the SDMP then it's acceptable. However it's been suggested to me that if you fly IFR then having your kit inspected by a radio engineer using proper test equipment might be better for safety and so having the traditional 'radio annual' might be a better idea.

Perhaps someone has a better understanding of what is needed regarding radios so I invite opinions on the above.