PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gan 1958 and Later
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2017, 18:16
Poimier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pkam
I wonder if anyone has any gen on the Victor parked on the pan on Gan when arrived in 1966 and I think still there when I left? I was told it was the victim of an electricl fire in the bomb bay due to excess baggage en route to the UK. Great thread, lots of things come back to mind, must search the attic for the copies of the GIP up there somewhere.
Hi pkam, maybe I can help with Kyle’s crash, I have some faint memories. At the time ACM Wallace Kyle was C-in-C Bomber Command and he went out to RAF Tengah in 1966 (in a Victor) when Vulcans were detached there.

On the return leg, the aircraft caught fire at Gan, either on take-off or on landing, probably landing, not sure. Fortunately, they all got out, but apparently the crewchief suffered burns when he returned to the blazing aircraft to recover the Boss man’s golf clubs, at least, that’s the story I heard. Can you imagine anyone doing such a thing ?

It wasn’t the only Victor to crash that year : ASN Aircraft accident 29-JUN-1966 Handley Page Victor SR.Mk 2 XM716 RIP gentlemen.

Wiki has a long bio of Kyle, just in case you’re interested. This incident is omitted BTW.

I also found this for you :

“1966 brought more excitement when one of our aircraft [XL513], when returning from Australia, suffered a bomb-bay fire and had to land at Gan in the Maldives off the tip of India. A works team from Handley Page went out and re-wired the bomb-bay and we went out to service and check out all the aircraft systems. 5 weeks in the sun on a tropical island the highlight of which was listening to England winning the World Cup in the Sergeants Mess. From memory it was a very good (if somewhat alcoholic) night. Sergeant 'Clancy' Ross where are you now?? After a fire, re-wire, 5 weeks on the ground in tropical salt-laden air, there were many crossed fingers when she gingerly took to the air again. We must have done a reasonable job as she flew safely home none the worse for her ordeal.”
From : http://www.*************************...hp?comm_page=4

Ten years later 513 made its ABF landing : "... it was a bird strike but the captain chose to abort take off after V2! Brakes and brake chute failed to stop aircraft slowly going into the overshoot. One main undercarriage broke off backwards and I think if memory serves me right [the Victor] broke it's back. Apparently one of the crew managed to get his parachute hooked up while exiting the aircraft and streamed it across the grass but everyone got out safely."”
ASN Aircraft accident 29-SEP-1976 Handley Page Victor K.2 XL513

What a super thread, so many interesting stories and everyone is so gentlemanly too. Sincere thanks to warm toast, you are a Star Sir ! Make that five stars !