PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned from the ranks.
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2017, 18:15
tarantonight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by langleybaston
QUOTE:

Thought this might happen! It is difficult to compare the ranks, but I get your point. The rank of Commander in the police is not held in any provincial forces, only the Met and I think the City of London. The equivalent outside of London is an ACC - Assistant Chief Constable, an ACPO rank, so could perhaps be compared to the first Air/Flag rank etc.

Whether a senior or junior Chief Superintendent, it is only one rank above Superintendent.

It is exactly because I knew that [daughter and her husband both Met. Police] that I wrote "Commander or a senior Chief Super". Unless there is a rank between Chief Super and Commander in the Met., or between Chief Super and ACC elsewhere, I believe my initial post made my point as precisely as I could.

Semantics really.

Certainly the Superintendents who often [why?] lunched at RAF Leeming called Wg Co Flying "Sir" in about 1965 because I clearly remember making a mental note. It is the short term memory that is shagged these days!
Know exactly what you mean. I can talk with some clarity about minor events 30 - 40 years ago, but I walk upstairs.....you know the rest!