PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Navigational Assistance
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2003, 07:26
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
fish

I asked for 'confirmation of my position' a decade and a bit ago en-route from Coffs Harbour to Archerfield. I knew where I was within about fifteen mile but knew there was CTA around and didn't want to embarrass myself. It was the end of a long day (long week actually as I had buried a mate a couple of days before!). ATC gave it to us, I didn't ask kfor a vector and we happily found Archerfield. I was absolutely stunned when AF GND told me that ATC had '225'd' me. I called up one of the AF examiners of airmen the next day to have a chat about it and it helped to clear the air.

I learnt a coupe of valuable things from that. Firstly, a 225 in and of itself isn't a bad thing. Since then I've written HEAPS of incident reports for things from bird strikes to encounters with severe turbulence. Secondly, it won't necessarily bite you on the backside- I even mentioned it in my Qantas interview. Thirdly, a decade on, it's a minor thing.

One final note though. It was lack of confidence that nailed me. The position from ATC confirmed I was where I thought I was but I didn't believe myself without them cross checking. Once I had my confidence back, it was all good. If you're lacking that confidence, don't hesitate in checking with someone to get it back. That could mean a radar vector or it could mean a Nav with a flying instructor to brush up on the basics again.