PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Still In Production After 60 Years.
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2017, 10:45
Acrosport II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloud Basher
People are wondering why the cost of new GA aircraft is so high.

When Cessna restarted the 172/182 and 206 production lines I was speaking with a Cessna US guy who came out with the first couple inported into Australia. He stated hat 50% of the cost of the Cessnas was the cost of liability insurance for 20 (or may have been 25 years) for that airframe. If you look at production costs for other items and how they have risen, this makes sense. Cessna stated that they could resume production when the GA revitalisation bill was passed in the States that limited liability to 20 years (25?). So a 100% markup on each airframe to pay for this is the cost of the US litigious society.

I can't speak to the rest of the argument on manufacturers not wanting to change the status quo. The only thing I do know is, it was economically feasible it would have been done. I am sure the latest technology could be incorporated into aircraft engine making them more economical, more reliable(?) lighter, etc etc. but if it does not make economic sense then it won't be done.

Cheers
CB

That's incredible if correct.

That would make the price of a new C172 in the USA of 180,000AUD.(Not sure what the listed price is in Aus, its so high they don't publish it on the dealers website).

All because of greedy unethical lawyers. (eg: suing Cessna, Piper for a pilot error CFIT and blaming it on the aircraft or systems).

Unfortunately Australia wants to follow USA warts and all. This liability thing is out of control here now too.

Real shame, and even bigger shame the USA and AUS govts don't have the b***s to stop it with sensible legislation.