PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 18th Mar 2017, 16:13
Treble one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrangryofwarlingham
Treble one

Are all airbus and Boeing drivers nothing more than average? Does an above average pilot (and I think you will agree that the RAF have no shortage of applicants so they can choose the best) simply become a systems manager the day he takes off his RAF flight suit and puts on BA uniform?

Regarding low level aeros, what is it about preparation you feel he was lacking in?
Is there any relevance to this accident that the plane was a fighter? That it was swept wing?
Maybe this accident would have happened to him on this day regardless of the type he was flying.....if he got undemanded power reduction? Maybe he was so off his game on the day, that he would have struggled in a Cessna aerobat?

That he was off his game and made a catelog of mistakes is clear. The question is why? Was there something else ?
All I am saying in my view it is more likely that other factors were present.

Mr A-I drive a Ford Focus and I have a very good safety record in touch wood. However if I go away for the weekend and get into a high performance sports car, say, would that be the same?

I never said for one second that airline pilots were average. I contend that flying an Airbus or Boeing does not necessarily prepare you for flying a Hunter in low level aeros.

I also DIDN'T say he WAS underprepared etc etc-I said he MIGHT have been, just like you and others say he MIGHT have been incapacitated/impaired.

But was he incapacitated at the start of the manoeuvre when he was too low and slow? Or was he incapacitated on the way up, on the way down? He doesn't appear to be have incapacitated just prior to the crash when the attitude of the aircraft would indicate he was pulling very hard?

The engine? Red herring? There was a potential problem, but the report says that it didn't affect engine performance. Even if the engine was at fault, the pilot was still too low, still missed his gate, still didn't attempt to escape the manoeuvre. Surely if his day job is systems management and monitoring instruments, then this should have been a given?

I'm sorry-I'm the sort of chap who when he hears hooves thinks horse not zebras.

Last edited by Treble one; 18th Mar 2017 at 16:48.