PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Handling
Thread: 737 Handling
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2017, 15:42
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this really what's required on a 737 or is he hamming it up for the camera?

I flew B732/733/737/738. To keep the a/c reasonable stable required a lot of 'damping' aileron. The amount of roll input looked crazy to PNF, but it was instinctive to keep the wings reasonable level; very proactive not reactive. I then flew B767 in similar conditions and it rode out the turbulence much better with much less aileron. The amount of deflection was much less and the amount of 'stirring the pudding' less. Your backside, internal gyros and eyes were all feeding into your hands via what should be the best computer on the a/c. You were not aware of what you were doing; just doing what was necessary. It is unlikely PF could even describe what they had just done and were unaware of it.

In this video I was surprised by the amount of elevator input that was being used. I was trying to workout if this was X-wind, and which side. After a few reviews I suspect it was turbulence with not much x-wind. The aileron input was 50/50 both directions and after landing there was no aileron held into wind. But I was surprised by what appeared to be back elevator after touchdown. <500' there was a lot of down elevator movement. This would suggest large changes in vertical air movement. It must have been quite exciting & challenging at the same time.

Last edited by RAT 5; 18th Mar 2017 at 16:19.