PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 18th Mar 2017, 15:24
H Peacock

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
For me it's a question of which is more likely.
Superb pilots having a bad day making a catelog of mistakes or something else.
AH was a superb pilot, most harrier pilots are the cream of the RAF.....so for me the chances of something else are more likely.
Ah, back to the 'too good to make a mistake'! And a Harrier pilot you say, well they never get it wrong! (mid-air over Wisbech; mini-cct at Wittering; GR5 over Bosnia; Flap-less t/o from the hide; departure on airtest; loss of oil but no urgency to land; throttle v nozzle lever at Lowestoft; UP from loft rec'y near Barnard Castle; deck landing into the sea abeam carrier; CFIT near Evesham; rec'y into Khandahar......) AH flew the Harrier over 20 years ago with a total of less than 600hrs. Was Southport AH just having a bad day or was that also down to 'something else'?

Very dangerous in aviation to conclude that someone is just too good to get it wrong. I've listed them before, but even looking at just the display scene where everyone is 'above-average', nearly every loss/accident is caused by driver error.