PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual approach
Thread: Visual approach
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2001, 18:50
Nick Figaretto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry that I have to disagree with you, ShockWave.

No_Speed_Restriction: The answer is a definite yes.

We can all make our own, more restrictive rules for what we consider as safe flying. But there's nothing in NSR's scenario that implies that you would break any JAA rule if executing a visual approach.

In the areas I fly, we have a lot of instrument approaches starting at 6500 feet and above, with interception of final track at up to 20NM distance.

In a clear, starry night with snow on the mountain tops, I do not hesitate at all to go straight for a base leg at 1000 feet, when I know the aerodrome and its surroundings. And when I actually see them, of course.

This is even so if the ground visibility is close to 800m in shallow fog (The case is the same: a starry night). The whole idea with the 800m JAA rule is that when you see the aerodrome throughout the visual approach, the reduced visibility is due to shallow fog over the runway.

Wether you intercept final track at 1000' visually or 7000' via the IFR procedure doesn't really matter. You will not enter the fog untill you are below 300' anyway.

On the other hand, when it's pitch black in moist weather where you can suspect some low stratus here and there, I would stick to the instrument procedure when flying at night.

Nick.