PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - refusing access to class D airspace?!?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2003, 05:16
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alan

As you know, I have visited Thames/SVFR and found it fascinating. I just don't know how you guys keep so many balls in the air. The day I was there was the most recent "hurricane" and it was fascinating being in the tower watching your colleagues...er..."discussing" whether to change to 23 (a major financial and safety decision) and seeing aircraft fleeing westerly runways for South Westerly ones (Thames were pleading with Biggin to stay open to take some overflow that Stansted was finding difficult to manage.)

On the more general point, I flew today from Biggin, entered LHR at Fairoaks, routed Ascot to WOD, then through the Lyneham Zone to land at Filton, then straight through Brum, through EMA, then LBA and Teesside to land at NWC, and exactly the same route back ('cept I didn't bother 119.9 on the way back), which I make 1 Class A and 10 Class D zones* in one day and I was never asked to deviate from my route, change my level or change flight rules once. The closest I got was EMA saying "maintain your present heading" then 5 minutes later "resume own navigation" (the beam bar hadn't moved anyway.)

I say again and again...there is no problem.

W

*12 if you count arrivals and departures.