PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2017, 12:02
Loquatious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To comment on some aspects of earlier posts first:

Did the crew think that the fuel was at Blackrock? There would be plenty of reference material at the planning stage and in flight to indicate where the fuel was.

As regards a mistake in FMS planning; if that had been made initially, the crew would not have disregarded the fact that one was on an inlet and one was an island, this would have been apparent as they coast out.

Would the crew have considered the elements of the required letdown on the west coast either at the planning stage or latest in the cruise and then have briefed them in detail? Absolutely!

The flight to Black Rock would seem to have been planned from close to the outset, as a known point of approach offshore around which they would manoeuver and approach Blacksod from the SW.

The next few questions are an attempt to gain insight into the SAR perspective:

Would the aim have been to descend inbound Blackrock from the east to obtain visual contact with the surface at around 200ft and then proceed to turn back towards the fuel at Blacksod?

The transition to contact flying may or may not have been achieved but what would a SAR crew be expected to do if surface contact was either never achieved or subsequently lost?

What would the SOP be for this?

Do SAROPS procedures allow continuation IMC below MSA after such types of letdown?

Would a gradual turn towards the lighthouse at Blackrock to regain visual contact be the natural thing to do?

I note that a track from Blackrock to Blacksod passes close to another island, Duvillaun More. From a SAR point of view, would this be preferable to a left turn overhead Blackrock to establish on a NEly 9nm final for Blacksod?

I know there are many ways to skin a cat but I’m trying to get a SAR perspective, considering the additional technology and SAR flight limitations available whilst on ops.

Last edited by Loquatious; 18th Mar 2017 at 15:10.