PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual approach
Thread: Visual approach
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2001, 11:10
IHL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOR : I work for an Air-Taxi/ Commuter operator and are allowed to do visual approachs . ATC usually initates it by clearing you to their minimum IFR altitude in hopes of the aircraft becoming "visual" .

I pasted the following from the Transport Canada Aviation web site , separation standards.

7.0 Visual Approaches
7.1 The following conditions shall be met when an aircraft is cleared for a visual approach: (N)

(a) the reported ceiling at the destination airport is 500 feet or more above the minimum IFR altitude and the ground visibility is 3 statute miles or more;

(b) separation, other than visual, is provided that from other IFR or CVFR aircraft except that the aircraft being vectored may be instructed to maintain visual separation from preceding arriving IFR or CVFR aircraft when cleared for a visual approach;

(c) the aircraft reports sighting:

(i) the airport if there is no preceding IFR or CVFR traffic, or

(ii) the aircraft that it will be instructed to follow;

(d) the aircraft will complete its approach by following a flight path which will not compromise separation with other IFR or CVFR aircraft.

NOTE: Visual approaches may be requested by pilots or initiated by controllers to gain an operational advantage for arrivals operating in good weather conditions. Pilots cleared for a visual approach are responsible for compliance with published noise abatement procedures, wake turbulence separation and avoidance of Class F airspace.

7.2 Visual Approaches to Multiple Runways

7.2.1 IFR separation shall be maintained until visual separation is applied when conducting visual approaches to multiple runways.

7.2.2 In addition to the requirements in Chapter 3, Section 7.0 - Visual Approaches, the following conditions shall be applied when visual approaches are conducted to parallel, intersecting and converging runways:

(a) parallel runways separated by less than 2500 feet:

(i) IFR separation is maintained until the aircraft reports sighting any preceding aircraft on final approach to the adjacent runway,

(ii) the aircraft is instructed to maintain visual separation from the reported traffic,

(iii) a heavy aircraft is not permitted to pass any other aircraft, or a medium aircraft is not permitted to pass a light aircraft;

(b) parallel runways separated by 2500, but less than 4300 feet and both aircraft are being vectored for visual approaches:

(i) separation, other than visual, is maintained until the aircraft are established on a heading which will intercept the extended runway centre line by 30 degrees or less, and

(ii) both aircraft have received and acknowledged the visual approach clearance;

(c) parallel runways separated 4300 feet or more, and both aircraft are being vectored for visual approaches, separation, other than visual, is maintained until one of the aircraft has received and acknowledged the visual approach clearance;

(d) if one of the aircraft is being vectored for a visual approach while another is being vectored for an instrument approach, separation, other than visual, is maintained until the aircraft conducting the visual approach has received and acknowledged the visual approach clearance;

(e) intersecting and converging runways:

(i) IFR separation shall be maintained until the aircraft has received and acknowledged the visual approach clearance,

(ii) visual approaches may be conducted simultaneously with visual or instrument approaches to another runway.

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: IHL ]

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: IHL ]