PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR over water?
Thread: VFR over water?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 20:24
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rolling20
The English Channel: Having done some 10+ crossings in singles and twins, my advice would be to pick the shortest point, lifejacket on, try and keep an eye down below for shipping, if the prop stops, ditch as near as poss to a ship,smaller the better. When you do ditch, harness tight and be prepared for a sudden stop. Open the door before impact and don't forget it should float for a short while, so don't panic!
Try getting some time in. I flew off-shore helicopters for 12 years (8 000) hours and more sectors than I care to remember. I ditched north of Aberdeen in 13+ degree water. The cold was shattering. Along with the shock and the violence of the impact and the jammed emergency exits I was f***ing grateful to see the surface again, despite being seriously contaminated by jet fuel. The crew and passengers on that aircraft underwent annual survival training and all of us agreed afterwards that the escape drills went to utter rats**t, Once out of the aircraft we reverted to the survival training we had been taught.

We were picked up after 25 mins in the water, all suffering from different degrees of hypothermia and poisoning from the fuel that surrounded us. Yeah, it'll float, but it may be upside down, and if it's a PA28 I doubt it.

Most light FW get their windscreens smashed by the impact on the water and that's what stops you getting the dinghy and the other kit on your freezing, bruised, shocked and terrified way out of the wreck. Your kids are in the back seat? I bet you forget them in the struggle, and stamp on the the wife sitting next to you as you go out of the one small, and awkward door.

I've done at least another 1000 off shore sectors since that. I've flown 19 solo, single engine Atlantic crossings, 200 multi-engine, multi-crew crossings. I respect over water more than most. Survival training is valuable, experience will show you the truth. But no engine knows it's over water. Go do it. If it goes wrong save me a seat on a Gypsy Moth shaped cloud.

There. Is a lot of theory on the web; grab the fact and knowledge while you can.

SND